I only just found out about this a few hours ago, thanks to my aunt. Those of you in melb here with me, who've been busy partying and/or preparing for graduation and not keeping up with the news might not have heard about it yet, so I figured I'd better post about it.
Apparently, there's been a spate of racial riots up north in Sydney over the weekend. I'm still trying to absorb all the information myself, so no analysis for now. Instead, here's a bunch of links to articles in the Australian regarding this issue.
If any of you have friends and/or family in Sydney, now's a good time to ring up and make sure they're alright.
Read in order:
- BBQs give way to ugly gang assaults
- Violent beach mob 'hides behind flag'
- Revenge attacks in Sydney race war
- Riots need 'fair dinkum solutions'
- Locals 'shocked' by riots
- Violence 'won't spread'
- Media 'not to blame for violence'
- Cronulla calm after day of chaos
- Beach riots strike force set up
- Police saved four lives from mob
- Far-right groups admit to role
- Opinion: The rule of law must apply in all cases
- Opinion: Blame race riots on police force neglect
- Editorial: Editorial: Blood on the beach
- We're not a bunch of racists, PM says
- Different faces but battles are the same
- Brace yourself, it'll be eye for an eye
- Race warfare divides city